Children & Young People Committee Meeting Notes

Meeting Notes C & YP – 18th February 2013

Present:  Trudie, Janice, Liz, Frances, Tracy, Elise, Jim & Alistair

Apologies:  Verity & Katie

Trudie opened the meeting with prayer

Review of Action Points from Meeting on 11 October 2012

 Purchase of Bibles for Church:  These have been bought and a bookcase is being sought to place them just outside the lady chapel.  A generous donation had been made towards these so the money allocated for this purchase remains in the budget.   Trudie recently visited Commonweal School with a placement at SYFC.  Some of the young people there would like a bible and it was proposed and agreed that £50 from last year’s C & YP budget be given to SYFC towards the purchase of Youth Bibles for these young people.

ACTION:  Liaise with Ian re £50 for SYFC towards purchase of bibles        Trudie

Budget:  Trudie has spoken to Ian [Treasurer] and agreed that any outstanding purchases which had been allowed for in last year’s budget can be claimed but claims need to be presented asap:  Jim for purchase of Xbox, Christmas BBQ and Doom painting materials [approx £130] and Janice for purchase of storage boxes [£37.50].  This will then complete purchases from the 2012 budget with approx £200 unspent.

A budget of £1,000 has been agreed for C & YP for 2013.  Ideas of how this might be spent to be discussed at next meeting.

ACTION:  Receipts to Ian for 2012 spend                                                               Jim & Jan

Ideas for 2013 spend                                                                                   All

Growing Young Leaders:  Mahima Patole’s name had been put forward but the course will not start in Swindon until September 2013.  It is possible that other names may be considered then too.

Hot Chocolate Rota:  It has been decided that, due to lack of space, hot chocolate will not be served in church during the reordering of the church centre. 

Welcome Rota:  Trudie has spoken to some families and it is often difficult for families to arrive early but they are happy to be asked to assist if they are in time.   Children and young people are noticeably more involved in handing out service sheets, etc and bringing the offering forward.

Special Needs Coordinator:  Verity working on this and to carry forward.

ACTION:  Produce form and collate information                                                               Verity

Communion before Confirmation:  PCC have agreed that Communion before Confirmation proposal is taken forward.  Jim has volunteered to help present this with Trudie and work through the process and guidelines.  The timing of this was discussed – three to four months to process and a month to prepare children.  Important that Simon is present whilst this happens so need to consider whether it will take place before or after his extended study leave later this year.

ACTION:  Liaise with Simon re timing of taking forward                                 Trudie & Jim

 Messy Church:  Fantastic response to request for volunteers and volunteers’ meeting held at King William Street School.  Head teacher extremely supportive and plans going well for the launch on 21st April.

Child Protection Update & Review:  Discussion took place about the role of nominated persons for child protection [there are three people sharing the nominated person role at Christ Church: Julie Tucker, Janice Titcombe and Ailsa Palmer].  It was affirmed and confirmed that overall responsibility for child protection is with the nominated persons.  Child Protection guidelines have recently been reviewed by the nominated persons and Dan Jones has approved them.  The use of photography in church services and activities involving children and young people is currently being reviewed and guidelines are awaited.

ACTION:  Keep C & YP Group informed and updated                                      Janice

 Key Training:  Trudie and Elise have attended Key 1.  No dates yet available for 2013.

Review of C & YP Targets

Y1 Welcome:  Children and young people on the welcoming rota happening a little more often.  Provision of hot chocolate has been successful.  Announcements re child provision at the start of services is not really happening.  Notices are now given at ‘the Peace’.  Trudie to request that child provision info is given as part of the general welcome at the beginning of services.

ACTION:  Liaise with staff team re notices                                                           Trudie

Y2 Raising profile: General feeling that this is improving.

Y3 Involving C & YP in life of church: Active part in planning and delivering is hit or miss.  Two ‘champions’ appointed for all age: Margaret Williams and Genny Williams.  It is hoped that others will be more involved with ideas, planning, etc.  Tracy willing to coordinate a music group for C & YP.

It was felt that the survey of children, young people and parents would be best left until September or even later in the year when groups have been re-established in the new church centre.

Jim reported that the youth group will still meet during the re-ordering of the church centre though Charlotte Mews Hall is not suitable for this and it is hoped to meet at Bath Road Church.  Trudie will liaise with Mark Barrett about this.  Numbers vary from week to week and it is hoped to re launch once the new centre is available for use.  Planning to offer more games [Xbox and ?table tennis or pool table] to create more of a youth club feel.  Information to be taken into schools, especially Commonweal, where Elise and Ali will visit with Trudie when Youth Bibles are taken in.  Youth team would like to visit Sunday Club to speak to the older children about the Youth Group and also speak about their work as part of a Sunday morning service.

ACTION:  Purchase of Youth Bibles                                                                          Trudie

 Arrange visit to Commonweal School                                                 Trudie, Ali & Elise

Janice reported that, following discussion with leaders and parents, it had been decided that Sunday Club would not be relocated at Charlotte Mews Hall during the re-ordering of the Church Centre.  It had been proposed and agreed that the children’s groups would be accommodated in church [South Transept, North Transept and Canon Thomas corner].  Where possible the children would also spend some time outside.

Y5  Support and prayer for local schools:  Chocolates taken in for staff at Christmas and Trudie will ensure that chocolate is taken in at Easter.  School assemblies are going very well.

Y6  Explore outreach to C & YP:  Launch of Messy Church well underway.  Advent Angels a successful event.  Plans for this year’s Summer Holiday Club also underway.  There will not be a Good Friday Workshop this Easter due to re-ordering of Church Centre.

Child Friendly Church Award:  Ongoing.  Have fulfilled criteria for Bronze and working towards Silver.

Date of next meeting:   Wednesday 8th May, 7.30pm at the Parish Office

Leave a Reply

AlphaOmega Captcha Classica  –  Enter Security Code